Drive Along Coastline to Cape of Good Hope
Last night was our meet and greet with tour group. We have tour guide Delia and a trainee Lucky and one other couple besides us so far. Another couple missed the flight to keep town and arrived today that we have not met yet. Unfortunately, one couple scheduled to be on the tour had to evacuate for hurricane Ida and will not be on our tour.
Our drive today started at the hotel at 8:30 and we drove along the coast mostly through cable pool table Mountain national Park. There were lots of bikers and runners all along the road. Many times two narrow lanes of traffic and bikers and runners all sharing the same two lanes. Many of these are training for a huge competition that takes place in March each year. Also a public outdoor gym was located on the beach.
It is much cooler than normal here and they have had an exceptional winter with enough rainfall to fill a reservoir that was down to less than 5% four years ago. Of course, I was very comfortable in the cooler weather while Delia had a vest and coat over her clothes. We got to see several troops of wild baboons that are protected in the national park. There were monitors trying to keep the baboons away from stores and residential areas. The baboons can be very destructive and many people would kill them were it not illegal. We were told not to walk outside with any food or drink or the Baboons would attack.
We also got to see wild ostriches in Table Mountain National Park and Elands which are part of the Gazelle family. All of these animals are protected. We also stopped at a Penguin Colony in Simons Town these are protected Chin Strap penguins that they have difficulty keeping the numbers up because of natural food chain as they are eaten by sharks who are food for killer whales.
In addition, we saw communities of everything from the very most expensive and elite properties to several communities of what used to be called shanty towns but are now told to be called informal settlements. This name was changed when Mandela became president to keep the dignity of those people. We were also told about the classification of whites, coloreds, and blacks. Colored is not a derogatory term here, it is used to specify a mixed race from when the Dutch used slaves for mines and farming. In 1960 Mitchels Plan was enacted to segregate the communities and blacks were given specific areas to live that were less preferred and sometimes miles away from their jobs without public transportation.
We stopped at a lighthouse on the Cape of Good Hope and took a funicular to the top and walked down. Great views!
Our last stop was a fabulous lunch at Harbor House.
When I returned back to the hotel, I got word that mom had passed. It was peaceful and relatively quick. I am glad that she is at peace, with her God and not suffering. We took a walk to get some fresh air and await some calls to get more details and know that my wonderful cousin Amey, with hospice and my Uncle George and Aunt Shirley are taking care of all the necessary notifications and duties. I feel bad that I am not there for my dad but I had arranged for him to have plenty of visitors while I am traveling and I have confidence that everyone will help to keep him occupied and not lonely. It has been a difficult ordeal for him and I pray that he also sees the blessing in her passing.


I love the chinstrap penguins! They are so cute! That lunch looks delicious.
ReplyDelete