Burt and I started planning this trip 2 years ago.  We thought we had beat the odds by planning for Sept 1,
2021 when Covid hit in 2020.  We thought surely all would settle down and be back to normal by the time our trip was scheduled.  Not only are things not back to normal, my moms heart has failed her intensely in the last month and was put into hospice care August 5.  Difficult decisions whether to continue with the trip or not. Mom and dad have both encouraged us to travel and I don't think she would want me to change plans as long as she has the help she needs, though I will surely be thinking of her and praying that God keeps her close.  Mom is ready to go home to her Lord and he will decide the right time.  I made sure dad would have plenty of visitors while I am gone and once I am in Africa, there will be others who will graciously step up and fill in till I get back.  THANK YOU (!!) George and Shirley.

Our original flight was a direct flight British Airways Phoenix to London in upgraded economy with an 8 hour layover in London and a second flight to Cape Town.  About two weeks before the trip we learned those flights were canceled.  We ended up with American Airlines Phoenix to Chicago in Economy and 1.5 hours to get from the domestic terminal and the International terminal and a Quatar Airways flight to Doha, Qatar with a 2.5 hour to catch a flight from Doha to CapeTown, South Africa.  After 26.75 hours in the air we should arrive in Cape Town on Sept 3.

We have been reading books: (highly recommended) White Lion Back to the Wild by Andrew Schofield, watched videos of our AmaWaterways ship on the Chobe River, and photos of the Parks and resorts we will stay in.  Honestly, I had the most input on the choice of tour and places to see and Burt had most on which hotels, flights and dealing with the tour company.

Here we are ready to leave in two days with mixed feelings, but confident this will be the trip of a lifetime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chobe National Park

Drive Along Coastline to Cape of Good Hope

Victoria Falls